Saturday, June 26, 2010

An Operatic Surprise!

I was so moved by the the video my friend had emailed me that I had to share it with you.

"On Saturday, April 24th, 2010, over 30 members of the Opera Company of Philadelphia chorus along with principal cast members from the upcoming production
of La Traviata converged on the Reading Terminal Market Italian Festival.

Wearing street clothes and blending in with the crowd, the artists swung
into action after the first orchestral strains of the famed "Brindisi" were
piped through the market, giving a rousing, surprise performance for
hundreds of delighted onlookers who were there to enjoy the Italian
delicacies and the everyday treats that the Reading Terminal Market has to
offer. The four-minute piece won a thunderous ovation that included both
laughter and tears from the audience . . . . "

My blog @ Iranian.com

4 comments:

  1. Such a fantastic surprise!

    I love opera...so you can imagine how much I enjoyed this video! I have already watched it three times..:-) ,

    Thank you for sharing! Azarin

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opera houses are among the unfortunate victims of the recent meltdown. They are doing whatever necessary to attract new audience which is, in my opinion, long overdue. They should have done it way back then, when the crowd in the video were teenagers.

    Where I live, they play classical music in the subway stations' PA system in order to deter the loitering of the youth. It's a shame!



    Never late to learn....http://davidharvey.org/reading-capital/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous treat!!
    Thank you Nahzi. This is the most creative "production" of La Traviata's drinking song I've run into.
    In life everything is folly which does not bring pleasure.
    Let us be happy, fleeting and rapid is the delight of love; I'll drink to that (and shop while I still can).
    Ari Siletz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for beautiful blog, and video. Please allow me to present to you a performance by our own brothers, and sisters who reside right here at our beloved IC.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCKQ0_ZYHc

    ReplyDelete