Wednesday, August 31, 2016

29 Years And Counting...


It wasn't really planned. It sort of worked out that way but however it came to be, it has survived for 29 years!

I was working as a Legal Administrator at a family law firm in the Woodland Hills area. Shorty after my first anniversary there, my employer (Ron) informed me that he is in negotiation with a much larger firm to merge. Once that happened, he apologetically told me that the partners of the larger firm wish to be in charge of the administration. I didn't even let him finish his sentence because I knew how painful it must be for him to verbalize it; He needed me to go on and 'Go On' is exactly what I did.

I decided to start my own company and provide services for the selected few clients. But how would I start? I asked Ron's permission to contact the firm's referral sources to see if any of them would need my help or know someone who does. I knew he wouldn't mind, but under the circumstances he even offered to help spread the word by asking around.

I borrowed the firm's phone book (believe it or not, back in 1987 people and businesses actually had phone books... the kind you WRITE ON) and started selecting and calling individuals on page "A". I landed my first project when I made it to page "C". She was a family therapist and was being audited for payroll taxes and payroll reports for the prior three years; none of which she had done!!! That project took three months of 4-days-a-week / 8-hours-a-day work to complete and I have been at it ever since. I am proud to say, that today is the 29th Anniversary of Nahzi Nikki Bookkeeping and Management Services and tomorrow I have a lunch date with Ron!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Has it been that long? I cannot believe it has been more than 30 years that I have considered you among my most respected & revered professional colleagues! I have sent as many new clients your way as came my way. I have you always in my mind & in my heart. The new firm failed. The plan was not a good one. Now I wish I had asked for & followed your advice. I think I know what it would have been. I probably didn't ask because I didn't really want to know the truth. Ah, the allure & the weakness of "Pie in the Sky". But we have remained friends, none the less. For that I will always be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ron..... You were always looking for ways to improve the firm. So you had good intensions and meant well. What is done is done. Just focus on what is ahead and enjoy the experience.
      Thank you for your trust and friendship.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete